View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 02:19 PM

One of the engineers at Harman Luxury Audio Group told me to use high powered amps with these new JBLs. This flys in the face of the high sensitivity thing. This is regarding the S4700s, though.

And I quote:

1. How low in impedance do they dip down too?
> >
> > Answer: 4 Ohms @ ~17kHz
> >
> > 2. How many watts are needed to make these really sing? I'm using both a 300Wpc A/B amp and a 25Wpc Class A amp.
> >
> > Answer: 300 watts at an 8 ohm rating. We always recommend having the extra power available rather than under powering your speakers. This method will ensure an optimal signal to noise ratio and you can adjust your volume to set your desired listening level without sacrificing sound quality. If you decide to use an amplifier that outputs more than your speakers power rating you will want to set your level accordingly to make sure you are not overdriving the speakers. In most cases, an audible distortion will be your word of warning.
> >
> > 3. The Class A amp runs out of gas at higher volumes, the A/B amp does not. Despite the 94db rating, do these speakers crave power?
> >
> > Answer: Yes, the S4700's should be powered with a minimum of 75 watts at an 8 ohm rating. Otherwise you run the risk of overheating your amplifier, or sending clipped audio signal to your loudspeakers which can damage the voice coils.
> >