View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginNH1 View Post
Well, I have admit that I was a bit surprised. By way of reference, I was looking for something better than my L-509X integrated amp. Having never heard the Luxman separates in my audio room, I was looking forward to the comparisons.

First, I tried the c700u/m700u combo. Very nice, smooth and detailed. Was it better than my L-509X? To my ears, they were almost the same. I was quite surprised.

Next, I switched out the c700u for a c900u. Much better detail, as if a veil was lifted. Soundstage was about the same as the previous combo and the integrated for that matter.

After two days of listening, I reconnected my L-509X. It sounded really, really good.

Bottom line (at least to me) is that the 700 combo compared to Luxman’s newest integrated is a virtual toss up.

This excercise proved to me that the L-509X punches well above its weight class.

While I was try to avoid lugging a 100 pound amp upstairs, I think I’m going to have to pair the C900u preamp with the more appropriate M900u amp to experience Luxman’s TOTL performance.
Yes, the integrated 509, 590 gets you mighty close to the top shelf components at a fraction of the price. Hence my stop at the Class A L-590AXII and total satisfaction. For those seeking the ultimate, the 900 components with the out of this world D-08u is a dream and TOTL experience. If you decide to pull the trigger Greg, no doubt you will be very happy for a long time (in audiophile years at least) Good luck with your quest.