View Single Post
Old 03-22-2020, 01:36 PM

Your SP3 is an excellent base to use as a foundation for your entire system. I would not be playing any music through your CD sources, but rather, I would invest in a Bryston BDP-3 and import all my music using wav or aif files with dbpoweramp as the software for importing my music. I have found that importing music to my SP3 sounds better than any other digital source. Don't get fooled with Tidal and MQA. I have found that none of the digital services, including Tidal and Qubuz, sound as good as music I import. Even hi res music does not sound as good as my imported red book sound at 44.1/16. It sounds natural whereas hi res just sound louder. Additionally, have you tried Dolby Pro Logic Iix music through your SP3? While I own the BDA3 which has a state of the art D/A converter, I almost never use it, preferring to play two channel red book music using my BDP3 connected to the SP3 and playing back using the Dolby Pro Logic Iix music codec. Assuming, your 7.1 speakers have the same drivers in them, you should try it. If I had 4K and needed more 4K inputs, I would upgrade the SP3, but I would not upgrade its USB input because you can get 192/24 PCM using the other digital inputs of the SP3. There are other methods to improve sound beside the latest D/A converter. The SP3 is still relevant unless you want an unrealistic object based ATMOS, that I have yet to experience in real life.