View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 04:20 PM

I run my Sashas on a pair of X600.5s and I used to have the XA160s (the predecessor model of the XA160.5) and the XA30.5, for different speakers back then. I also had a chance to listen to the XA100.5s driving the Sashas at one point.

The characterization below is very accurate and is consistent with my own experience. The X.5 and the XA.5 sound similar but with slightly different strengths. The XA.5 has a darker, rounder and more liquidity midrange where as the X.5 sounds more dynamic, transparent and powerful. Personally I prefer the X.5 as I love how they sound for large orchestral works but would be just as happy if I had the XA.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
Hi jp,

I was able to hear the 60.5, 100.5, 160.5, 200.5 and the X600.5 in a demo. I found that the xa was a little smoother with a wonderful silky midrange. The xa series is very musical. Flowing beauty IMO. The xa amps are very tube like but with a faster bass and no tube hassles. It also seems to never run out of juice and the soundstage does not collapse unlike with some tube amps.

The X series on the other hand was quicker/faster, tighter bass and very dynamic. The midrange sounded a little more flat, but still with excellent space around it and a lovely air about it. The X series seemed to have better definition as well. Instruments were clearly more defined, whereas with the XA series, it presents more of a "whole picture" approach. Both amps are well balanced - very well balanced.

I would say it all comes down to your type of speakers and with Sasha's - you might prefer the X600.5's. I will admit, the speed, tight bass control and dynamics of the X600.5 is down right addictive!

It all comes down to whether you feel your speakers are a little dark sounding and need some energy put in them (X600.5 fits the bill here) or whether you feel you need to add some additional tube magic.

You already have the XA100.5's - so what is it about them you don't like?

After listening, I could have easily been happy with either the X600.5 or XA160.5.