Thread: Into the Abyss?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 06:13 PM

Weight... It is a huge consideration with headphones.

I went through a headphone phase acquiring quite a few and quickly learned not only what I enjoyed in terms of a sonic signature but how much comfort matters when listening for extended periods of time in headphones.

I don't have Arnold Shwartznegger neck but I am not a scrawny guy either.

The problem with headphone listening is that they absolutely have to be comfortable or they start to distract from the listening enjoyment. If they don't fit well on the head or the weight starts to fatigue the neck, it is all over for enjoyment... the moment the fidgeting starts, it is bye bye listening session no matter how magical it was...

I do listen quite often in the late evenings and my listening sessions often extend into a few hours or more depending on the mood. The tubes are either lit at my computer desk or over by the stereo rack but I tend to listen to tubes approx 95% of the time. If I am in the mood to fire up the tubes, it usually means extended listening sessions because the longer it goes, the better everything starts to sound and I really get into the listening bliss.

Longest listening session in one of my absolute favorites HD-600 was 5.25hrs (260g)

Longest listening session in my current "reference" ZMF Auteur Blackwood is 2.75hrs. (482g)

I absolutely loved the Audeze LCD-3 and nearly cried when put them up for sale but the longest listening session was 1.25hrs. (543g)

So in conclusion, I hope you are considering the Abyss Diana Phi at (350g) and not the torture looking device AB-1266 at (640g)