View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
Congrats Joey V, soundstaging is amazing on the new B&Ws.

Curious, did you used to own some ML Summits? There was a Joey V on a MLowners site some years ago. If that is you, what are the improvements moving from ML stats to B&Ws?
Interesting.... I have received a couple of PM re the ML Summits and its kin vs the BW 802D3 and my Sonus Faber O3.

There are some improvements and some step backs when going from panels to dynamic speakers even something as good as the D3.

First thing you will notice is that panels are more cohesive from upclose whereas anywhere closer than the 9 feet that the D3 requires will be less so.

The 802D3, while having good bass, is not as punchy or adjustable in room as the larger ML panels. The ML bass module is also quite good, given that it is sealed in the Summits and similar kin.

The one thing I did not like was a few aspects of panel reproduction:

1. Panels are simply not as dynamic. The panels just can't move enough air. There's a difference to hearing something and feeling something.
2. I feel the panels are not as extended in the treble. While the panels themselves are light and quick transducers especially compared to midrange drivers, I feel like they are maybe a bit heavier than the lightest tweeter transducers.
3. Absolutely zero horizontal and vertical dispersion. Maybe not zero, but definitely unlike a dynamic speaker, especially one as baffle-less as the 803D3 and above.
4. Soundstaging is a little "dirty". I have a/b the Summit X directly against my prior 802D2 and because of the backwall/dipole effect, the soundstage just sounds not as clean and pinpoint... a little bigger than life.

Overall, a good pair of dynamic speakers beat out panels for me.

That said, you get a lot for the money with panels, you can spend $5000 on a used pair of Summits and get really up there in terms of sound quality.