View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 10:13 PM

Glad you asked, as I had planned to write this up, but other audio things got in the way.

Short answer - I love it and it does exactly what I wanted. I find the SQ to be much better than my iPhone (since I use them on the road, that's my primary comparison). I also have the pono, but gave up on it a long time ago, mostly due to the form factor and rudimentary interface (imho).

First, it's an android phone without the phone. So, everything you can do with apps on an android, you can do on this device (like read email and AA, etc). I also have an fm addiction and have favorite stations, and I've downloaded the app for that (and several other favorite apps).

Then, it's a great player. The onkyo app does very well. I've now got loads of lossless files on it and have also integrated it with tidal. I haven't used the EQ very much, but it's there - should you so desire. Sounds terrific and hands down better than my unadulterated phone.

I pair it with my westone W50s in quiet listening (i.e. Hotel rooms and airports on layovers). I also pair it with the Bose QC20s when on the plane (which are the best noise cancelling IEMs I've found (consistent with the reviews I've read)). I just got tired of lugging around headphones for the plane and the qc20s do a serviceable job of noise cancellation without the heft. I haven't tried it with balanced cables out to a good pair of phones yet, but I have spied the cables I'd like when ready to drop the $$. The IEMs sound so good though that I haven't felt a pressing need to do so (yet).

It is a sharp rectangle though - I had to add the leather case as it was just sort of uncomfortable due to the sharp edges. It won't win any second looks from Jonathan I've, but it's nice nonetheless. I LOVE the volume knob - so analog and easy to manipulate. It's a bit big/heavy for a shirt or jacket pocket, but that's fine for me in the way I use it.

It holds two huge storage cards (forget the exact size) - you could put a boatload of music on there. The battery is not great though - does fine for several hours, but if you don't turn it OFF, it won't sleep through the night without exhausting the batteries - which is kind of annoying.

So, for road warriors or those that obsess about these things (of which I am a bit of both), it's highly recommended.