View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davkj View Post
I've had an XP-10 in my system for about a week and have felt that I would like a touch more warmth. I also felt that the deepest bass may be a bit restrained and the sound stage perhaps a bit smaller that I have heard with other preamps in my room (but not with my Pass amp).

My dealer thinks the XP-20 will address all these issues, and that the XP-20 will have a sweeter top end than the XP-10.

Can any Pass users comment on the differences you have experienced between the XP-10 and XP-20? I need to figure out if the XP-20 is worth the additional expense.

Thanks.
If I could make a suggestion, it would be to go with an ARC REF 5 SE. There are other tube pre options as well. From memory of my listening session, I just don't think the XP-20 will give you "warmth". Aesthetix, the new Zesto preamp and many other tube preamps might be the ticket. I know the Pass amp/ARC preamp combo is very good.

"If you are looking for a warmer and more forgiving sound, you can also find some tube preamps that offer this kind of coloration."
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...wer-amplifier/