View Single Post
Old 09-14-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowGEEZR View Post
My GEM is killer. But, it had teething problems. Larry used a bronze bearing thrust plate, which was too soft for the 42 lb copper platter. It was trashed after about fifty albums and when I told Larry, he sent me another thrust plate, of different metal and it wore through, also. He then closed up shop and I was on my own. Luckily for me, a friend's son worked at a metal shop and I gave him some specs for another thrust plate, this time out of very hard stainless steel. I've since played hundreds of albums and both bearing and thrust plate are doing well, no wear at all. The Teflon disk above the thrust plate lasts a long time, but I had to find a source for a Teflon rod and I now cut my own replacements for those. I bet I have a hundred year supply of Teflon washers now! Another issue is that the very soft o-ring for the capstan is hard to find. I tried harder o-rings, but they transmit motor vibration into the platter and caused rumble. I've gone through five different rubber belts, but had slight speed holding issues. I just used the original capstan. I then tried mono-filament fishing line, but it tended to stretch. I finally found a good solution with multiple filament 50 lb test fishing line. It didn't stretch and keeps a very good speed consistency. In hindsight, I wish I'd have purchased his dual belt capstan and belts and I probably would have been good. I'm still on the lookout for the correct consistancy o-ring, but to be honest, there's doesn't seem to be any difference in sound quality using the fishing line. I think that with platters at around 40 - 45 pounds, the belt/o-ring differences diminish. Even though I absolutely love my table now, I doubt I will ever buy from a one man operation again, as Larry absolutely vanished when he retired and I've received no support.
I love my table but I do wish parts were of the shelf also.
I have to make own drive belts too.
I have tried viton, and silicone.