Thread: Dp950+dc950
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 04:15 AM

Martin is spot on on the "DG-58" inputs dilemma.

I now use it as an input selector (and obviously EQ), but the 3 digital in are always a bit of a pain and many times I have to plug and unplug units.

So the EXT DSP option in the DC-901 is a nice feature: I would have all digital INS of the 901, and an EQ in a digital loop.

Maybe the fact the 950 doesn't have EXT DSP option could indicate that the next "DG" will have many inputs and serve as a proper digital hub. Or maybe there will be no next DG unit... we will see.

Regarding the 1x ESS9038 per channel, it surely looks like that.

I know that the important factors in a DAC are the power supply, signal management, analog amplification, etc. and not only the chip used. I am sure that regarding those aspects Accuphase has done a proper job on the 950.

But *personally* I find a bit boring the plethora of "ESS 90xx" units. Not much fascinating from a technical point of view. More or less the same package "pre cooked by ESS", with good PSU etc.

Compare this to units like the DC-91 (32x PCM63) or especially the DC-81L, with his discrete resistor DA conversion.
Well, these are units were I really see a "cost no object" and intriguing project. No only in the promotional flyer, but in the real hardware.

Last edited by Mattia; 08-29-2016 at 04:27 AM.