View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwbadger View Post
You have 275's with ref5se - why the need to change amps?

How did ref250 compare to your 275's???

I also plan on a vpi classic TT

Thx

ayre dx-5, kxr, mxr, Vandersteen 5A, marantz 8801, Vandersteen vcc-5, Vandersteen vsm sig
There really is no need to change amps. I just thought maybe more power would get the most out of my speakers. In comparing the ref 250 with the mc275 the ref took control of the sound, not just bass but at all levels. The sound was more precise, more detailed much like a really good ss amp but with a tube sound. I liked it a lot.Almost just had them leave the demo's in my room for good.The mc275 does have something though, hard to put your finger on it, just that really nice McIntosh tubey house sound.I could live easily with these now that I paired them with the ref5 se. The pre made a huge difference. The pace and timing of the music was much improved imo. Remember that there is a big price difference. The ref 5se is about double the price of the 2500, and no phono stage. The mc pre does a lot in one box for a good price and represents good value, although when you try to include a phono stage and a dac for that price something has to be lacking somewhere. Just my opinion.

Shindo D'Yquems
Shindo Vosne Romanee
Devore 0/96
Luxman PD-171
Dynavector xx2 MkII
Luxman DA-06
Mac Mini
Magnum Dynalab MD 107t
Shindo and A23 Cables