View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Genuflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
Now this music would be beautiful if it weren't for those blasted Harpsichords!

Listening to . . . . Bach - 9 Concerti Per 1.2.3 E 4
Cembali ed Orchestra

A Philips 3 LP Box Set

Raymond Leppard, Andrew Davis, Philip Ledger, Blandine Verlet Harpsichord and multiple harpsichords.

English Chamber Orchestra - Raymond Leppard, Conductor

I'm kidding about the harpsichords - because, obviously,this music was written for them. I don't favor that instrument, and have said so several times in this forum, (much prefer the piano in similar settings) but these players and these instruments sound, not only appropriate, but fantastic on these recordings - Especially in those concertos where multiple harpsichords are employed - Listen to the Concerto for Four Harpsichords and Strings in A minor, BWV 1065, as an example - Wow!

I'd love to know the provenance of that beautiful instrument on the album cover.

Here's the (excellent) disc I have of these harpsichord works (well, some of them - 1063, 1064, 1065). Picked this up when it first came out in the early 90s... and have always been gobsmacked by the complexity-come-musicality. Really a treat for the ears!

Would be very interested to compare the CD to the Album given the heavy-weights involved with both efforts.

Also, Julian, I did an image search on that "Cembali" pictured on your album... nothing of note came of it, sadly.

Last edited by tsv_1; 04-11-2012 at 08:56 AM.