View Single Post
Old 06-02-2017, 04:44 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
I wouldn't go by me particularly when trying something like the TS EL34B, which isn't too expensive. As I said, I went through a period of running the various EL34/KT77s that I have and the few that seemed to do the best for me were the current production GL KT-77, =C= EL34. The Mullard EL34 reissues weren't bad either, though under those other two for me. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll refresh my memory with some of these comparisons. I need to do more of this over the coming weeks as I am thinning out my collection narrowing down to top choices.
I hear you, but also FloridaBoy does not like the idea as he has tried it in the past and considers the GL KT-77 unbeatable, which I agree with. I guess you guys are right. OTOH, this would prove or disprove my theory, though, and everything points to something like the 6P3S-E: relatively weak, but very transparent and balanced. The EL34B would also offer an advantage in body of sound thanks to the 55% higher plate current and some of that inherited midrange magic typical of the EL34 family, along with being electrically the best non-Triode output tube for Triode connection... Tempting! If you get a chance to listen to those again, let me know your latest impressions. Thanks!

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 06-02-2017 at 11:35 PM.