View Single Post
Old 04-21-2020, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds617 View Post
Greetings AA forumites! Brand new community member here, and also first time owner of a McIntosh unit, specifically the MA8900.

I have wanted a McIntosh since I was 10 years old after seeing/hearing one my friend's dad owned. Now that dream is a reality.

<snip>

The next obvious upgrade is the speakers; the LS50's are very nice, but now that I am freed from the constraints of the dreaded spousal approval factor, I'm looking to upgrade to floor standers. This upgrade won't happen for a while since I'll need to save up, but my initial thoughts are:

Dynaudio Contour 60's
Martin Logan Impression ESL 11A's

This is a princely sum for loudspeakers for me ($10k), but sometimes life causes you to adjust your priorities, and in this case, I've decided mine is building the best system I can possibly (not) afford.

When I have enough posts under my belt I'll begin a dedicated thread about best speaker pairings for the MA8900, but for now any initial thoughts are welcome.

<snip>

Looking forward to getting to know folks on this board; I'm a veteran of online communities, so I know the drill.
Welcome! If I may, for your consideration you might try to find a second hand pair of Wilson Sabrinas, which could possibly be had for ~ your budget and will work nicely with your MA8900. Wilson speakers often mate very well with Mac power amps.

Happy hunting!

Bob
Sources: Koetsu Onyx Gold/Clearaudio Innovation Wood w/Universal Arm 9”; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent G5 balanced and speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record cleaner: Kirmuss KA-RC-1 ultrasonic.