View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Retired

The comparison to the C28, C29, C38 & C2200 I've owned is quite straight-forward. They all are of the "older" generation sound from McIntosh, which I describe as being "warm". Have not spent any time listening to anything newer than the C2200, so not sure about their newer preamps other than to say that I understand they are more "modern" sounding. In contrast, I've always found Bryston gear to be fast & detailed while at the same time giving up nothing in terms of sounding extended at both ends with a great sound stage. It has been several years since I've had a McIntosh preamp, so any comparison is strictly from memory in a totally different system (completely so, other than tuner). It is easy for me to say I am very much enjoying the BP-17³ and it providing the sound I prefer. The detail on the redbook files I'm currently listening to (Sandy Denny - may she RIP) is truly excellent. The background quietness is just outstanding.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag