View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 02:00 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewN View Post
... Has anyone else made the move from a PH8 to the Ref 2 SE? What might I expect? Anything I should bear in mind to get the most from it? Any advice re burn-in given that i don't want to wear my Koestu out waiting for it to come on song?...
I went from a PH7 to the Ref Phono 2 to the Ref Phono 2 SE. Find my somewhat understated comparo between the PH7 and the RP2, here. You're part-way there inasmuch as the PH8 uses the 6H30 in its amp section versus the 6DJ8-family used by the PH7. Taking the next step, you're right, the RP2SE is indeed a destination component and you are in for a real treat. No doubt you can find reviews of the PH8 and comparisons between it and the RP2 and RP2SE, but in a nutshell, the SE brings: nice improvement in bass weight and definition, richer tonality with more harmonic information, greater image solidity, improvements in soundstage information and a sense of dimensionality and space. Overall, it is more transparent with less distortion than the PH8.

Like everyone says, break-in takes ~600hrs. There are a variety of options including various CDs that expect you to connect your disc player to the phonostage and play repeatedly. Wally Malewicz sells a complete phono burn-in system that covers tonearm wiring, phono cable and phono stage. If you go through a burn-in regimen, this would be a good time to get out your setup tools and review your tonearm and cartridge parameters: VTF, SRA, Azimuth, anti-skate.

Enjoy your new Ref Phono 2 SE!