View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 10:09 AM

Default Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
That seems to be quite a common misconception that has been around for many many years. Perhaps there was a time in the past but having owned Bryston amps from the last 3 generations (SST, SST C Series and SST2) I have never found that to be the case. I own B&W 800 series speakers which are often described as bright due to the diamond tweeter so an amp that was bright would most likely induce listener fatigue in my setup but for me that's not the case. I don't find either the B&W's or Brystons bright, edgy, forward, etc.

Another couple amps to think about would be Classe, Anthem and Parasound.
We recently acquired the 6T's - easier to drive than the 7T's, but Michael Kelly, founder/owner of Aerial, mentioned Anthems when I was comparing the 7T's vs 6T's at a local event. Classe has some newer high-efficiency (i.e switch-mode) amps available, these might be worth considering.

Currently drive the 6T's using an older Copland Integrated amp, looking at SimAudio (340i w/DAC) and some Naim electronics shortly. SimAudio was tested over the weekend, and did quite well. More punch than the Copland, of course it has a higher output rating. May look at Anthem's as well.

The 6T's/7T's are very efficient, so you don't need huge power reserves.