Thread: Higher End DACs
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Yes, almost any certainly most, CD/SACD player will also allow you to connect an external Digital signal and convert it to an analog signal - Eg use it as a DAC.

Depends on what you want to spend. Perhaps $6000 for a used K-03X which gets you double DSD capability along with arguably the best disc spinner pedigree available would be a good target. You could look at a new K-05xs as a even newer technology, a warranty and potential benefits (I have no clue on $). If you want to spend more, likely any of the Esoteric players will give you great satisfaction of ownership.

As for downloading vs only streaming, That is my bias of wanting some feeling of ownership and the fact that I had a large legacy collection of CDs which I ripped to get my files started.

You could certainly just subscribe to Qobuz and not miss owning any of your music. Nobody would fault you for that given they stream in up to 24bit 192Hz streams. At some point, the quality of the source recording is more important than whether it is a CD, SACD or a stream of XX bits YYYhz.

Jump in.
thanks for the follow-up! I will keep you all posted, if interested!