View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
Howard,

With the addition of the ceiling panels - was is mostly the bass that improved? One thing I have noticed from our lovely XRT1K's is that the mids/highs are very height-controlled (due to the array). Or did the mids/highs have more of an impact? I'd be very curious to know, as planning panels and traps as my next step had me wracking my brain as to whether or not I would want ceiling tiles at first or at all since the height-directionality of these speakers is so exact.
The Tube Traps behind the speaker dramatically affected the bass detail and the soundstage size and isolation of instruments is clearly evident. The ceiling panels, in my particular setup, soften the entire room and seem to sweeten the highs and midrange. My logic (not an advanced tech guy) is that reflected sound piggybacks on the music directed at your ears and makes some frequencies sound louder but less detailed and distinct. Simply, my entire room sounds perfect.
Side note: When I was on the ladder with my head close to the ceiling, I was amazed at how much was going on up there. Now, with the panels in place, the softening effect is quite noticable.
I have also decided that a ladder is not the best sweet spot for listening.