View Single Post
Old 05-31-2014, 09:49 AM

Upon further consideration, I should add, that even if one were to construe my description of the Shindo experience as a purely listening event....

It is true that a full Shindo system can be expensive. OK. Many things in this hobby are and a full Shindo system can be much less than a full MBL or Kondo. In fact, a full system comprised of Montille, Aurieges, and Lafite with associated cables is probably less than a reference level ARC preamp!

That said, my system - Lafon gm70, Latour 604, VR, Aurieges phono - is, objectively, a lot of money. For the level of musical satisfaction, though, not so much in this hobby. There are probably two dozen speakers at any given hifi show that exceed my total system cost and at least 1/2 dozen that cost multiples of my system.

I don't like the pricing in the hobby either. That is another discussion. The fact of the matter is that this is life here. More and more companies chase the higher income buyers and the resultant low volume means higher individual sale prices must be the norm. I guess it's easier to sell a few $$$$$$ pieces than many $$$ or $$ pieces?

I'm very happy that Shindo does have an entry level option available. I started there with Montille and Aurieges.

To your point, again, I would never suggest that one needs a full Shindo system. It is an awesome thing, but there is nothing wrong with just using a preamp.

For example - it took me NINE YEARS before I had a full Shindo system. I've got small kids to feed!! That didn't stop me from enjoying my Shindo along the way.

As to the EU issues...what can you do? That is what it is and it is an unfortunate thing for Shindo fans.

Last edited by kev313; 05-31-2014 at 11:29 AM.