View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 07:53 AM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGremlin View Post
I've been providing sound reinforcement (I hate the name PA) for an eight piece band for the last 25 years. We have three sax/clarinet, trumpet, trombone, keys, bass guitar, drums.
Many smaller venues don't need or require amplification apart from of course the keys, bass guitar and continuity announcements. I always feel that getting it as near right as you can during sound checks is essential and if necessary final small adjustments later.
I hate overly loud PA or bass that swamps everything.
You must if you can listen from the audience as thats what they are hearing.
Sound reinforcement is only required when audiences are large and it should maintain the balance and tonal character of the band. I'm not perfect but I do my best for the band.
https://soundcloud.com/user-26111423...-rye-selection
AudioGremlin, you hit the nail on the head. Just as it's an ideal not to hear our gear (i.e., very transparent), the minimum required level of amplification for a particular venue is generally the best, at least for the genres that my aging ears enjoy.

I enjoyed listening to the samples of your band. That must be quite fun working with them. Another reason to get over to Scotland!
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable