Thread: New to Shindo
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 07:30 AM

Default New to Shindo

Hi,
After 45 years in the hobby (I'm 60 now) decided to try something different in this beautiful journey. I have been lucky enough to try excellent equipment at home from the best brands but always SS and big powerful speakers. My music tastes has been evolving from electric music (rock, classic orchestra, progressive jazz, etc), to more acoustic and intimate (acoustic blues, jazz, male/female jazz voices,etc). Because of this I want to try other side of this hobby. I used to listen to the music in a big family room, and now I'm moving to a small room (14ft x 9ft) but with a big opening to another room from one of the long sides (about 9ft), sadly the other side is a long glass door (not the best option right?). I'm seating 8ft from my speakers and they are 7ft between each other so almost "nearfield".
After reading about my best options under this new circumstances of test and space, decided to go with Shindo. A week ago have the opportunity to buy a used Masseto preamp as the first step in this new journey. Next step will be to buy a power amp from same brand also. I think to choose speakers will be the most difficult part for me because have no experience in this area with high efficient speakers and maybe single driver. I know that I'm not going to have bass as I used to but as I mentioned before, want to try something different now that I'm moving around vocals and acoustic music. Original Shindo speakers are not an option mostly because price, and because I need to try some different options until I find what's best for me.
Well, this is my story. If you are listening to music in small spaces like mine, your input will very valuable. As per the characteristic of my room (the long side glass door) a more directional speaker will be a plus and ideas in this direction will be useful.
Thanks