View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh358 View Post
According to Magnepan, the break in is a consequence of thermal cycling. I think you'll find that once they're broken in broken in, the effect will be long lasting. I don't know if it's permanent, though, I've seen varying opinions on whether they have to be broken in again when they've been unused for a while.

Break-in with electronics, where it does occur, should proceed very rapidly -- basically, it's a matter of electrolytic caps reforming after a period of disuse. (Though there are those who say otherwise.) I think it's possible to confuse break-in with the fact that the ear accommodates to new equipment or acoustics over a period of hours and days. The ear will "tune out" some forms of distortion and it's easy to mistake this for improvements in the equipment itself.

In the case of elastomeric mechanical devices like loudspeakers, though, break-in is a real and measurable phenomenon that takes a while to occur.
No question about it.

The break in is largely in the mind of the owner who has spent a lot of money and his ears are becoming accustomed to how new equipment sounds in his house.

Even with electromechanical devices with rubber and elastomers like a woofer, just how may cycles does it take to break in? Even if you say a million cycles, at a slow 20 Hz, even that happens in less than 14 hours. The mylar ribbon should break in even faster.

Mylar is a registered trademark owned by Dupont Tejjin Films for a specific family of products made from the resin Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET). The true generic term for this material is polyester film.