View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 01:19 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
Every 3db increase in SPL requires a doubling of power. Combine that with a mid-bass driver with a wide frequency range and that spells potential problems with modulation distortion.
Respectfully, Bill, that doesn't apply with respect to Harbeths. The Radial mid-bass drivers are made from a unique material that is proprietary within the industry and has been in rigorous R&D development for over 40 years by Alan Shaw with respect to to producing superb audio characteristics with very, very low distortion (and that ameliorates this distortion mode).

So, with Harbeths, don't let "specs" mislead you. They are very easy to drive....just ask the dealers that sell them with a very wide variety of amplification compenents, from "mid-fi" to high-end.

I've seen Harbeth C7s driven beautifully with an 8-watt Viva SET as well as mid-power and high-power tube and solid-state amps. Harbeth speakers are probably the most amplifier-agnostic I can think of.

Link to a video of C7s being driven by an 8-watt SET:
https://youtu.be/MytKtPXsfLQ

I drive my 30.2s to levels that will drive folks from the room with an 70 Wpc tube amp. Absoslutely no worries. And they sound amazing and the mid-range is absolutely gorgeous.

Bottom-line: Get the amp you want, get your Harbeths, sit back and enjoy some really beautiful music.

Job done.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.