View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Both the analogue & switching power stages. Replacement of the switching power stage in particular for better performance & reliability.
Replacement of Caps & Resistors with military grade equivalents.
Replacement & reduction of op-amp stages.
Chassis & transport dampening.
It is my understanding that the above is also done with the SS Modwright mod. The op-amps used with the MCH-outputs are completely removed.

You are correct, if your primary concern is the multi channel output. If someone is all about MCH movies then I agree that the MCH mod is the way to go because of the reason you stated utilizing the two DAC’s. I would not want to run my tube output in surround for the fact that the two front channels will sound different than the rest. If you want the player to have the best 2-ch output, the tube mod is the way to go. If someone wants to say that the tubes just add some color, I would place this person in what I will call the SS person category. A tube person will speak much different. I won’t beat a dead horse with the tube vs. SS argument but I can tell you that I have used some expensive amplifiers with my Klipsch horns and my tube amp sounds better. I am sure the speakers have something to do with this but regardless, in my set-up and IMO, my Bob Latino ST-120 tube amp sounds better than many amps I tried costing 2-4 times. My Jolida JD 100a tube output cd player sounds much more musical to me than my stock BDP-95. My Luxman D-105u tubed CD player sounds better (not as good as my Jolida) than my stock BDP-95. Maybe it is my speakers. Maybe I just prefer the sound of tubes better. I have high hopes that after my OPPO mod is complete, it will sound better than my Jolida. I will keep everyone posted.

Last edited by RoyMercer; 10-04-2011 at 08:19 PM.