View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 05:59 AM

I hope this mod goes well for you all & look forward to reading about the perceived improvements.

While the ModWright mods are of particular interest to me, I have some reservations in relation to the tacking of a 2Ch tube output stage at the end for a little sound colorisation. In addition to tethering an umbilical to an external analogue power stage to power the thing...

In relation to the ModWright 2CH tube mod, I gather the output stage is associated with L/R (XLR or RCA). The Oppo now allows for the L/R to be assigned to MC instead of using FL/FR. This means that both DACs are utilised for MC equating to even superior D/A. So, how does the 2CH tube mod fit in with the new capability which was introduced with the recent firmware update? Does this mean that there will also be additional benefits derived from the tube output stage for MC analogue material in addition to 2CH?

I have been informed by another company that performs mods to BDP-95s here in Australia that the main considerations for improvement are:
  1. Both the analogue & switching power stages. Replacement of the switching power stage in particular for better performance & reliability.
  2. Replacement of Caps & Resistors with military grade equivalents.
  3. Replacement & reduction of op-amp stages.
  4. Chassis & transport dampening.

I have also been informed that any Australian BDP-95 with this particular Australian company's mod sticker on it will not be void of warranty!

Lastly, they also claim that the Australian modified Oppo BDP-95 will give a MCD1100 a good run for its money.

I will be in a position to perform side-by-side 2CH comparisons with an Oz modified BDP-95 against a MCD1100 in the coming months & will post my perspective.

Last edited by MyPal; 10-04-2011 at 08:26 AM.