View Single Post
Old 08-19-2016, 10:06 PM

A couple of days ago I ran into best buy outside of Minneapolis to pick up a few things, one of which was a new USB cable. So I wandered into the Magnolia section of the store to get a audio quest cable. To my surprise this Magnolia store sold Sonus Faber, McIntosh, B&W .. ect.. Way higher end gear than any other Best Buy I've ever seen. So while the salesman was going to get my cable from the back I started playing with a set of B&W 800 D3s powered by a couple of big Mc mono blocks. I always have a USB drive on my keys with DSD and FLAC files, so I put on my go to "Welcome To The Machine" by Pink Floyd. The salesman came back in to the room and made some comment about how amazing it sounded. But I was sitting there thinking that the whole things sounded like it was too tube sounding, lacked punch, and had that rounded off warm sound that Mc products seem to have. It sounded good, but not great. And when I'm listening to 40k worth of gear I expect more than just good.

Tonight I FINALLY hooked up everything up. My construction on my listening room finished up yesterday. I have a 4B3 powering a set of Kef Reference 5's and I'm playing off my Oppo BDP 105D via the balanced outs to my SP3.. Ivan has my BDA3 in route for my birthday on Tuesday which should be a huge improvement over the Oppo.

The point of all this rambling is that the Bryston 4b3 simply blows away the Mc mono blocks I heard the other day. The clarity, the punch.. It's everything that I love about Bryston products. James, you guys did it again. This is a hell of an amp. I'm temped to upgrade to a couple of 7B3s.

Once I get it cleaned up look for pics in the bryston picture thread. ... and BTW James. How the heck to I get a Bryston t-shirt without paying 30 bucks for shipping on your site? All in for a 15 dollar shirt it was over 50 bucks with shipping and tax.