View Single Post
Old 08-04-2017, 06:16 AM

I have had both on my room similar sized at 10.5' x 21' x 10'.

Speakers were 6 feet out of the room. As you know the maestro were designed to allow near field recording in studios.

The maestros are indeed more relaxed, smoother and warm midrange and highs. I would say the scalas are not as warm and natural, added some harness and brighter.

Bass wise, the scala was more than sufficient and kept them. Reason being i felt that the maestros could be used in the room, if you like it louder, it comes alive with ease and feel it then wants to breath even more to open up beyond the boundaries of the room. The pressure in some cases (playing loud and feeling the visceral bass lines) again felt at time it started to overload the room, it's natural than the energy just wants to come out. Other areas of the house were filled with tremours and wall resonating

The bass adjustment doesnt do anything at my concert listening levels. The Stella with the bass output volume adjustment controls would be able to control the bass output much more.

I love the physical size, which is not over imposing but still majestic looking in my room which is not large.

The Scalas can sound more exciting with more snap for certain uptempo music, but the notable ease and smoothness of the maestros, it is no match. I feel maestros will excel with large scale music, ideally i would like a 16' wide room and allow it to show it's staging.

The scalas in a 25' wide by 20' room at the dealers failed to fill the space, sounded like monitor speakers.

It comes down to one not trying to fit the largest speaker which you "feel" may be playable in a given room, but be thankful that you don't have a room too big which will need mega amp and the like of a Stellas or Grandes to even work. Of course the sound then would be a totally different story. It save a lot of money having a system in a dedicated room not too large.