View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 07:44 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelahanty View Post
Dan I reread your review and it reminded me of a thought I've had many times. I wonder if the filters are simply software executed by a microprocessor or are they actual filters which contain polar elements (resistors, caps, inductors)? If they are polar elements and each filter requires break-in we might exceed the life expectancy of the laser assembly rendering the player dead (An idle mind is the devil's workshop )
Tom.......I suspect the two FIR digital filters and the two short delay digital filters are chip based algorithms, although I have found no direct information to support that assumption. Esoteric does not offer a definitive explanation of the filter networks in the catalog, brochure, or owner's manual.

For the past year I have been enjoying my K-01X with no upconversion or filters. I have settled on those setting as providing excellent reproduction of the source material. The original bit rate is sampled at its original format without alteration. On occasion I have returned to 2Fs, 4Fs, and 8Fs upconversion but find myself preferring the ORG setting where the original input signal is sent directly to the D/A converter without upconversion. The same has been true for the filter. I have played with them but find the filters set to Off are the most satisfying. Having choices is a good thing. Being able to override them is equally essential.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 01-05-2020 at 07:46 PM.