View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 07:32 PM

I have long been an AQ fan... I've owned a few of their loudspeaker cables: CV-8, Mont Blanc, Volcano and finally the Everest. I think Volcano is one amazing cable if you're gonna stop at copper cables. If not, try Kilimanjaro (same as Mont Blanc but silver) or Everest (same as Volcano but silver - I'd say it is almost as good as the WEL). The Everest is just phenomenal and definitely my favorite owned audio equipment by far. It'a all about density, texture, tonal richness, resolution, dynamics and bass and highs extension... It's holographic and airy..
I've owned several of their interconnects too: Panther (Colorado/Earth), Cheetah (Niagara/Wind), Sky (last generation), Wild Blue Yonder and I've listened to the WEL for quite some time. Don't buy the Niagara (Wind) pair. While it may sound ok-ish, it's the cheapest silver and for a reason. It's dryer and thiner than it should be. I prefer Colorado/Earth to Niagara for this reason. I believe that Niagara/Wind is the only AQ cable that is not rightly balanced. It might be better than other interconnects but if you put it next to any other silver cable you're gonna see my point. The Sky is one helluva cable. And Fire is probably a tad better but in the same neighborhood. The Wild Blue Yonder is a truly hi-end cable - it's got a lot more resolution, it renders the atmosphere on the recordings very well, it's more tonally rich, it's airier and with superior focus and separation. I could die with a Wild Blue Yonder! Actually no... not anymore. The WEL is from another movie, from another galaxy. Its background is pitch black. Its bass is way more punchy than anything I've ever heard... This cable is rock solid. Incredibly dense with lots of body and grunt. It has way better microdynamics, resolution and is tonally richer than WBY. Find it used and forget about Niagara/Wind and Sky/Fire. At least try to listen to one and the sound will convince you. Good luck with your search!

P.S. I'm looking to replace my WBY with a WEL interconnect. I'm sure you'll reach the same conclusion as I have and do the same!
As for loudspeaker cables go with Volcano or try Oak and Redwood. I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of them. If you can find Everest
this is as good as it gets but they are rare and expensive. I have burned in my cables with Nordost CBID (not your usual burn-in and not DBS related). This device does something else and the differences are evident.
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 04:16 AM.