View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 07:51 AM

Hi joey_v,

Nice review!

A note about low bass performance (which you probably already know): outside of the actual capabilities of the product, getting low bass extension in a given acoustic space is completely dependent on that acoustic space. I know the room that you listened in, and unless you've got the speakers setup just right, you won't hear (or feel) anything near 19Hz.

Best regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
I finally was able to audition both the 802D2 and the 803D3 in the same room, same equipment, and nearly the same placement.

Full MAC gear, MCD500 to C50 Preamp to MC601 amps.

We switched between the 2 pairs approx 10 times during the demo... sometimes right in the middle of a song. Volumes were kept similar.

The 802D2 was just sold as demo so I was lucky to stop by right when they had the system still up. I lugged the 803D3 across the room and connected them in A/B fashion. I didn't want any of the speaker pairs to have the upper hand with regards to staging so I staggered the 2 pairs.

Basically:
1. Voices sounded meatier with the 803D3.
2. There was better projection into the room, vocal projection and vocal energy seemed to have more force and appeared more 3D than the relatively flatter presentation on the 802D2.
3. Midrange is definitely better on the 803D3, no question.
4. Bass seemed tighter, but I don't think it really went any lower... which makes me question the 19hz rating of the 803D3.
5. The sound seemed more cohesive to me, the treble didn't call to itself in what little that it did with the already improved 802D2. The midrange finally has less of this grain.
6. It's easy to hear the "grain" in the kevlar midrange... it's definitely a coloration that I have thought I heard before but chalked it up to "just how it is".
7. MUCH better at disappearing.... I can tell when the 802D2 is playing, I'm very familiar with this speaker.... but then when they had the 803D3 playing... I literally got up from my seat to check to see if the speakers were playing... it was SO weird that the speakers just disappear even no matter how you focus your energy into trying to stare at a speaker and see if sounds come from there.
8. Balanced sound. Sounded real.

Nitpick:
I honestly did not think bass hit the specs of <19Hz.

I also did not think it was the best imager, but I am sure it's a function of the set up and the not so ideal room and set up.

Conclusion:

Yes I liked it a lot. A lot a lot.

Like I will be buying one a lot.