View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 02:15 PM

FWIW, I've heard both the F2A and 300B tubes on Orangutans in my home. The F2A was Shindo and the 300B was Sophia Electric. Putting aside any Shindo vs Sophia arguments, the 2 tube types were notably different on the O96's, but both sounded great!

We ran the F2A's through paces with Jazz, Rock, Vocal, Jazz Vocal, and some classical! They all sounded great with the O96's and the F2A (Cortese). I would have been happy if the F2A's were mine. However, the Sophia 300B's are mine, and that's what I listen to regularly. I, personally, like the 300B sound. I think Sophia does a nice job. I would not hesitate to recommend them, especially given their price point and one's ability to tweak the sound with NOS tubes! A definite product to consider.

So what's my point? Dirtbag, I think you'll be happy with whatever tube amp you use and can afford. So I would not recommend breaking the bank or raiding the college funds for a notably more expensive amp. If you can get to the O96's, then I'm confident now in saying you will love them. Their ability to mate so well with solid tube designs is awesome, and they sound great. Candidly, I rarely crank my volume up past 12, as the's speakers really fill the room (roughly 44'x18') easily! And that's running 8-9 watts 300B's. I think that's cool, too!

Just my 2 cents!

So if you can only afford the Cortese F2A, I'm confident you'll be happy. And, dare I say this, if you end up with a non-shindo amp, I still think you'll be happy. It may keep you sane, married, and safe from spousal abuse, too..., that is, until you can properly go crazy with Shindo!

Last edited by FranklinLG; 01-07-2012 at 02:18 PM.