View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 09:12 PM
Go Dawgs

Default How important is JL's D.A.R.O. or other sub eq with Audessey?

It's time to upgrade and "clean up" the home theater...I was thinking of upgrading to a pair of stereo subwoofers such as a pair of JL Audios or Velodyne's Digital Drive plus series, both which have well reviewed subwoofer room correction eq. It's been awhile since I've really delved into the home theater realm...I'm very familiar with Velodyne's eq and how it works. My question is how important this feature is with the modern Audessey processing found on new home theater receivers such as the Denon and Marantz models with Dolby Atmos. (This is a dedicated home theater with no music in mind) Is the Audessey eq processing usually sufficient for taming problematic bass or do you get a benefit by using the subwoofer's built in eq and then running Audessey? I would think double equalizing would not be the best thing but I also know how effective JL's D.A.R.O. is as well as Velodyne's, but since it's been a good while since I've studied Audessey's processing, I wasn't sure if it (Audessey's processing) would be sufficient.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3