View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 06:02 AM
Semi-audiophile

jimtranr or Puma Cat, I am curious. How flexible are these Venom NR cords and, other than gauge, are there any differences between the v10 and v12? I was a bit surprised to see a 10-gauge cord used on a DAC, a rather small component.

I haven't had much interest in pursuing the power cord upgrade to my preamp I'd been mulling over for a while; in fact, due to schedule and lack of will, my living room still hasn't been put back together a month and a half (!) after a new air conditioner was installed. I have no access to the system and so haven't listened to it for over two months (and haven't missed it as much as one might think, btw). But jimtranr's enthusiastic review of the NR v10 may rekindle my earlier interest in that preamp upgrade. I was kicking around whether I should get the NR v12 (thinking that would be enough) or a Transparent Premium, which is only $9 more after Transparent's upgrade program. Both offer noise reduction, which I haven't considered a system problem, but I never know what having a noise-reducing PC might do. I have a Transparent HPPC on my preamp now, which is shielded but doesn't do noise reduction.

The network module on the Transparent does other things besides noise reduction, though I don't know exactly what ("among other things" is how Transparent put it). The Venom looks cool, though, and I don't necessarily have to be a completist, as all other power cords in the system are Transparent except one. So if either of you guys have insights that you could share it might be helpful once I decide to go for the change to my preamp PC.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks