Thread: diy rcm
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 06:09 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
A good read. Thanks.
There is an on-going DIY USRCM thread on the AK forum that has been going on for several years. Mostly built with parts available from eBay. While not as professional as the Kuzma RD, their record rotating drives generally run in the few $hundred range and the total cost is <$1000.
Yes, thanks, and you make a good point. I looked at 'em. The lower cost rotisseries are plastic and don't hold as many records, but they get the job done and can use a smaller, lower capacity (= less money) ultrasonic cleaner. Whatever USC tank you choose, get one with at least a heater and a timer. From the second article I'm convinced of the necessity for water filtering - and that was actually easy to build.

I've cleaned a lot of records in my time using four different machines (after years of manual effort.) I am now convinced the DIY approach delivers more cleaner records faster and quieter than either the Audio Desk (I own one) or the KLAudio units and similar machines for much less money. You can get records as clean with a point-nozzle machine (Loricraft, Monks) but the throughput is much lower and it's a bit tedious.

Also, thanks Dan.