View Single Post
Old 02-02-2019, 07:53 PM

Got the Paua Mk II mounted today. Only took about 4 hours. The size of the Soundsmith is larger and heavier than the Denon DL-304 it replaces, so I had to completely re-adjust the cuing level and arm rest level. The VTA adjustment was pretty tricky, but I used a Hudson Hi-Fi VTA and Azimuth alignment ruler. The little device is actually very good for VTA especially with my E-Flat tonearm. The azimuth part though is just too difficult to see very well. Anyway, my arm doesn't have an azimuth adjustment. The unipivot design is supposed to deliver spot on azimuth, so the only question is the quality of the cartridges construction.

I think I'll go ahead and order one of the Analogue Productions Test LP's and use my multi-meter on the speaker taps. Mikey Fremer posted a good article on how to check azimuth this way without the need to buy expensive (i.e. Fozgometer) tools. This will be merely to satisfy my curiousity.

Right out of the box, the Soundsmith delivers better bass than the Denon did. The cart does seem to exhibit increased high frequency energy, but I anticipate that will mellow out after about 30 hours of break-in.

Listening to my Brothers in Arms remaster and it sounds exceeding good. Great detail retrieval and micro dynamics and inner detail are noticeably better. Overall soundstage is improved as well. I'm liking it!

I always fret and worry about cartridge setup, but I think I have it pretty dialed in. My E-Flat arm is a 10" version. I used the Pro Ject Align-it protractor for the overhang and a MOFI Geodisc for alignment. That part I'm still going to look at a bit more because the shape and design of the Paua Mk II makes viewing the alignment grid a bit more difficult and my old eyes aren't as sharp as they were just a few short years ago.

This Dire Straits LP is sounding really, really good though.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)

Last edited by FreddieFerric; 02-02-2019 at 08:33 PM.