View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
Hi, at the moment I'm driving my 800 Diamonds with a top range Electrocompaniet set up including NEMO mono blocks. I'm thinking about moving either to Classe (which is a in house sound and a perfect technological match) or back to McIntosh (I was a Mac guy for many years and kinda miss the Mac sound - who doesn't?). Which one of those amps would you prefer for 800 Diamonds? Sure Classe sounds like a perfect match but due to the rather horrible electric line in my apartment the high current amps don't seem to perform anywhere close to their potential in my apartment so Macs could be a better choice since they are not so current hungry. I'm sure the dedicated lines will help but there is a reason why people keep using the big Macs with top of the line 800 series speakers despite B&W clearly stating that they need a doubling down amp. I'm sure that Classe would have a perfect control over 800's but Mac may throw a bigger soundstage and sound more musical. What do you guys think?

I had a pair of 802 Diamonds, latest version, matched with a Mac MC402. Nice, but not as good as I wished. I moved on to a Classe Audio CA-2300 and felt it was a much better match for me. Gave me more air and detail, with the same great midrange and tighter bass. I love McIntosh, but it wasn't the right combo for me.