View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 03:18 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
However, this did not really answer my question....

If said piece of Shindo gear is repaired by a competent technician and the same parts are not used, which is most likely, how will this affect the magic of said component?

And, just because you have a pair of NOS tubes, doesn't guarantee they will work when plugged in. Those tubes failed back in the day as well. Most tubes tend to fail at turn on, 100 hours or 1000 hours. If they don't they are usually good to go for a long time. I have a CJ PV-1 that is 35 years old that still functions flawlessly, but I've had my share of things fail over the years.

Also, the question of succession is an issue. If this is for the most part, a one man operation (or certainly an operation where one man is the brain trust) what happens when Mr. Shindo is no longer available to make repairs?

The point about the Krell transport is an excellent one. These things do happen. Naim has gone to great lengths to make sure that every one of their flagship players has an additional transport mechanism on the shelf, should it fail down the road. Rega does the same thing. Sim now builds their own transports. etc etc.

The majors like ARC, CJ and McIntosh (to name a few) have a substantial cache of replacement parts and circuit boards in the event of catastrophic failure. And I've been to their factories to verify this.

So what happens to Shindo in ten years?
10 years? Unless you know something I don't, fill me in.

Seriously though and luckily for us Ken is alive and well and able to repair any component. As is his son, Takashi, who is his
right hand man. Like the 'majors' as you mentioned, Shindo also has substantial stock of components. Rest easy.

Any high performance product, audio or otherwise, will have a knowledge pool to work from, to assist those who need it.

-Matt

Last edited by pitch perfect; 08-11-2011 at 06:03 PM. Reason: clarify