View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 05:09 AM
Semi-audiophile

I've been using the JJ tubes for a while now, and am pleased. But because of the improvements brought about by changing out power cords to my 2300 and subsequently to my 501s I'm thinking of giving some of the other tubes on hand another try to see what they do in the new setup. The Black Diamonds would be the ones to get the chance. I liked them when they were in, but went back to the JJs because that '60s material I was using sounded brighter than was comfortable. I've since decided that's not such a big issue.

However, it comes to mind that the original Mac tubes have been in the 2300 for a while now. I've had the unit for four years, plus the approximately one year the 2300 was on display in the store. Does anyone have an idea, however rough, of the lifespan of the original tubes? Maybe I should just go ahead and replace them too, even though there's nothing to indicate they're going to fizzle soon.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks