View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Paul - While the 47kohm loading would be correct on the MM input I don't think its 40dB of gain would be sufficient. From what I've read on the Grado Statement v2 the suggested gain is in the 54 to 60dB range and therefore generally recommended to use an MC input. It's possible that using the MM input may work in your system even with its 40dB of gain, but it's difficult to predict whether you'd be able to reach desired volume levels without restricted dynamic performance.

If you have the opportunity to try one in your system before purchasing it could be worth a shot but based on the specs I think you'd likely end up having insufficient gain. The Grado's requirement for high gain at a 47kohm load is rather uncommon and has been mentioned in reviews as a potential compatibility issue with many phono stage designs. Wish I could give you a more definitive answer!
Thanks again Bill. You have been most helpful.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.