View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncha View Post
I'm a newby so please take that into account. I recently went through the same exercise and maybe in the same store (Listen Up, Denver ?). I closed my eyes and listened as the salesman switched the speakers and repeated the track just heard. There were 3 pairs of speakers during each demo and the speakers from each channel were side by side. I found that the speakers furthest apart tended to sound better as the sound stage was more spacious. Instead of switching speaker placement and trying again we listened to one brand at a time with a mono source. I rated the speakers in these two scenarios to come to a decision. The demo electronics were high end Simaudio Moon solid state units. I ended up with a tube preamp which has a warmer sound; I doubt repeating the demo with tube equipment would've altered my decision but I can't be sure. If you know what will drive your speakers you might get a better preview if the store can at least approximate the type of electronics you'll be using. I enjoyed the experience and felt confident in my choice when all was done. Good luck and please give us a follow-up.
Thanks, yep same store ! I have a high end Moon pre but a Mac MC352 amp, all solid state. I will give a follow up !