View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldominion View Post
And yes, I've been recommended a subwoofer by many 604 users. I've never been a fan of subs, have never really heard a system with a sub that sounded that good to me.
No experience with 604s, but I have obtained acceptable subwoofer integration using a little trick. Using test tones, I dial in my subwoofer at -1 dB below the output from my monitors at 120Hz. Or even -2 dB. Then set the sub crossover to 60Hz.

I'm not looking for a really strong bass presence, rather I try to just add some lower bass presence / fullness. Some music has some very important content down in the lower registers and it isn't the same without it.

I've found that by running my sub at a bit lower volume level that it musically integrates better with my primary speakers while still having a presence on the lowest registers.

One of the combinations I use this for is using a sub with my Focal 906 monitors when driven by my low-power Inspire EL84 amp. But in this config I also filter off the low frequencies to the amp or else it clips very easily trying to hit the lower notes.