View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulcargo View Post
Hi B&W UK said that for the 800D3 you need min 16feet x 24feet room. What room sizes do you have for this speaker and does it work well? Thanks
My room is 13.59 x 16.38 feet (4.14 x 4.99 m; 20.68 sqm). Room height is 8.39 feet (2.56 m).
The speakers are prominent pieces of furniture.

Distance between central line of speakers is 7.79 feet (2.37 m). Listening distance from front of speakers is 10.68 feet (3.26 m); this is at the upper limit and should be slightly shorter.
The speakers are towed in. The straight lines pass by the ears and are crossing behind the listening postion, but before the back wall.

Ear height at listening postion is 3.4 feet (1.03 m).
This requires some tilting forward of the speakers.

Minimum distance from center line of speakers to side wall is 1.88 feet (0.57 m). Minimum distance from front center line of speakers to back wall is 2.92 feet (0.89 m).
Some damping material on the side and back walls may be required to dampen early reflections. Alternatively an electronic compensation of early reflections may be used (Trinnov ST-2 only).
Placing equipment between speakers should be kept to a minimum (i.e. TV and power amps only). Do not place the whole electronic system between the speakers, because this will negatively influence sound quality, especially imageing.

Please keep in mind, that the smaller the room, the higher the frequencies of the room modes.
This requires electronic room compensation (e.g. Trinnov ST-2).

The quality of the electronic system should be on the same level as the 800 D3s.
There is a lot of good electronics on the market, but unfortunately only very few of it is good enough for the 800 D3s.
And with the 800 D3s you will always immediately hear the difference.

Extremely careful speaker placement, absolute top grade electronic equipment plus room compensation will most likely lead to excellent results.
Overall, I can say that I'm very satisfied with the sound of my 800 D3s in my relatively small room.

Martin

Last edited by meltemi; 06-29-2020 at 05:57 AM.