View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 05:38 PM
Keeping it real since '75

Default MC-1.2KW strange "rattle" - IDENTIFIED!

Hey everyone-

I am posting this just in case someone else runs across this, but I am also looking to see if anyone has an idea on how to address this issue too. I also sent this info off to Chuck at Mcintosh. If I hear back from them, I will share whatever they give me.

So this all started with me packing up my 1.2KW's as I am moving from my home in Seattle to one in Dallas. I noticed a strange rattle or noise coming from within *one* of my 1.2KW mono blocks. It sounded like something was loose, but not completely disconnected. I have stillpoints attached in place of the stock feet, so my first thought was maybe it had something to do with them. I took them off and put the stock feet back on. It seemed to make a very slight difference, but it was still there. I decided to take the bottom cover off to take a peak around, and found nothing abnormal. It appeared the sound was coming from something on the top side of the amp on the right side (when looking at the amp from the front). I decided to remove the cover separating the two heatsinks on that side and I was able to identify the source of the sound!!! There are two small plates that slide in between the heatsinks to close it off. They are supposed to be tight and while one of them is, the other clearly is *NOT*!

I made a short little video so people could clearly see and hear what I am referring to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OrN...ature=youtu.be

Has anyone else run across this before?!?!? And does anyone have any idea on what I could do to fix this?!?!?