View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 01:33 AM

Thumbs up Mc255

RONY..... My apologies, I had the MC205 on the brain because we actually had a deposit on one about four months ago, but decided to go a different direction at the last minute. Regardless, the MC255 is a fine multichannel. We tested one out at the regional Mac store, back during the summer, and it brought a pair of Mac XRT2.1Ks to life very, very nicely.

Are you saying that the Focal center in your system is matched to your Focal fronts? We heard a lot about matching the center to the fronts, so we purchased a B&W center that's supposedly matched to our 802 fronts. The reason I can't tell you whether or not it worked out that way is because we're still lacking one channel of amplification to drive the center we purchased this past summer (2020).

As for your subwoofer, are you saying that you didn't hear much of a difference in them? The only sub we have is the one that came with the soundbar that we purchased with our LG OLED...and, to be perfectly honest, we didn't even plug it in for many months. We were thinking that it wouldn't make much of a difference, but, man, we were wrong about that! I've never owned a subwoofer before this one, but I am continually amazed when I hear the soundtracks that many sound guys are adding to movies and to series these days.

In fact, I often think that they're purposely adding low frequency sound to keep everyone's attention. The series Black Sails, for example, has a title track that will make the windows shake...and that's not to mention all of that Pirates vs British Navy cannon fire! I mean, seriously, it sounds very impressive -- and the active sub that I'm referring to is relatively small.

I haven't really listened to another subwoofer, though, so it's really hard to say if we would be gaining a lot by adding a "high end" sub.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections