View Single Post
Old 01-30-2021, 06:48 AM
Semi-audiophile

I was solid-state only for quite a while, too. As a rank neophyte, it always seemed tube equiment was usually more expensive than SS, and it was weird-looking (to me), with low power compared to some SS gear. Times have changed, certainly.

The only reason I have a tube preamp now (Mac C2300) is the heavy influence of AA; the high praise here led me to try one. I've since come to the conclusion that a tube preamp with a solid state amp is a great combo, and I would never go the other way, as I'm still leery due to horror stories I've heard regarding tube failure, especially with a power amp.

In my tube explorations I have found that the sound depends greatly on which tubes you use. Not every tube I put into my 2300 was "smooth, liquid and warm" to my ears. I seem to have settled on Telefunken Black Diamonds, made by JJ, and they have a great sound. But, if I want to tame bright recordings I'd use a warmer tube (JJ Hi-Performance Gold Pins, which I have in house). Tubes are versatile that way, and it's less expensive than buying new equipment.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks