View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Jim,
The VW1000ES is an outstanding SXRD (LCOS) projector. As good as your picture looks now, you'll be amazed at the 'pop' and depth you'll get going to a brighter, higher contrast projector. Tom Norton is a trusted reviewer. He's seen a LOT of projectors. I trust his judgement.

He was getting 16ft-lamberts off a 1.3 gain 135" diagonal screen on low lamp, 21 ft lamberts on high. Your larger screen will be 23% dimmer, so you'd get 13 ft-lamberts on low lamp, 17 ft-lamberts on high. That's with a relatively new bulb. So this projector is bright enough on high lamp to meet the SMPTE standard for brightness on your big 150" screen. It is not overkill.

People who say 4k is a waste are missing the point. It's just a number. You have to see this projector on normal Blu-Ray material to understand.

Tom
Tom,

Thanks for some good insight above. I am glad to see some one chime in on the video side as I know this site is more attuned towards the audio.

I agree with you that until you see what it can do with 1080P Blu-ray material you are just missing out on one incredible picture. That is my number one reason that draws me to wanting to buy this projector. If 4K happens then this projector will be ready, but there are no guarantees on that out come. To me it is nice that it has the 4K & 3D feature, but what makes me desire it right now is what it brings to the table in 2D HD format. When they went back and tested it for the 3D review they were getting 26 ft lamberts of light on the 135" screen. So I am expecting a bright, vibrant picture that pops off my screen and immerses me into the scene.

My wife Stacie comes back from Kansas tomorrow and she said she wants to see the Sony in action so I think another visit/demo will be in the cards.

Cheers,

Last edited by trek737; 01-27-2013 at 12:32 AM.