View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 10:03 PM

Default Recommended tube friendly bookshelf monitor

Still considering the next step. My main system in the LR, although far from audiophile, is fine for what I use it for. I don't do a lot of critical listening since, if I do, I can hear the outdated speakers, the old amp, the cheaper cables, etcetcetc. But we enjoy it because it does sound good, it looks nice, and it's convenient.

I am looking at retirement in the next year or so. We want to travel RV style and live on the road for a while. I do not relish that thought without decent audio. The Linn LP12 will probably stay at home and sources will be all digital streaming from hard drive or internet.

I have a tube amp and pre from Dennis Had. It makes anywhere from 6 to 12 WPC depending on power tubes. I generally prefer the low powered 6V6 power tubes with a 5R4 rectifier. I need speakers but they will need to be small and efficient. Not too small though and they must sound great. I have no aversion to buying used and have gotten some nice deals on audiogon and elsewhere.

Music is almost everything but polka and rap and pop. Budget is around 5 grand but the less I spend on speakers the more I can spend on the DAC and cables.

And reallyreally interested in first-hand experience. Thanks!!

eta: the wife said that they should look nice too:-)

Last edited by richamor; 05-31-2017 at 10:09 PM.