View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 08:29 PM
Retired

Interesting........... I'm moving to an Pass INT-25 Class A integrated (once it is built) sometime in March. While I would not worry about noise in any of the preamps noted, you will have some in any tube preamp. Doesn't Cary Direct offer a 30-day return policy? Tubes are noisy by comparison to solid-state, but in my many years of using tubes I've never been bothered by or even noticed same. The only time I've heard noise it has been cured by changing a pair of tubes. Tubes are inherently noisy and some more than others. While I'll be listing my SLP-98P shortly, it is strictly single-ended, so would not meet Dave's needs.

I'm not up-to-date on Manley Labs gear, but it is top notice if she offers a balanced preamp.

Also, one of the best things about tube gear is tube-rolling to tailor the sound to your wishes. At least for me. That is one reason I would not own a newer AR preamp as they use the 6H30 tube and there is essentially only one made. The old, Soviet era are available NOS, but the prices are ridiculous. While I am a fan of BAT gear, they suffer the same tube selection problem. I've always used their non-SE gear as it does not use the 6H30 but can be had with all the other bells and whistles. This said, the 6H30 may not be a problem for you. Good luck in your search. There are several small be-spoke builders who might have something to meet your needs. Puma-Cat may have a suggestion or three. Too bad Sonic Frontiers went the way of the dodo. They made terrific gear.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag