View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
pstrisik wrote: "If budget is at issue, I think an L12 along with your velodyne would give you marked improvement." ... "The difference between the L12 and F12 is probably relatively small and probably evident only at the higher output levels."

I'm inclined towards considering two L12's, maybe one now and another down the road. If stereo SUBs offer much better performance, and since my setup is small and I listen near-field, these L12's should do (I don't want neighbors complaining!). I just wonder how to split the PRE-out signal into both SUBs, and how to balance each SUB's different design characteristics when working in stereo. BTW, my LP-27a's SUB outs are not stereo, I understand, so how would that work?

I apologize for the nagging, Peter ... I'm really interested in this, though. Thanks!
De nada!

I would still get a more informed or experienced opinion about the difference between L12 and F12, either from the forum or directly from Brian or Enrico at Rythmik.

That aside, about connecting dual subs:

1- split the preamp sub output with a quality RCA Y adapter. If you have a preamp with a mono sub output, this will give you dual mono subs. (I didn't realize Dennis was putting sub outs on any of his pre's).
2- split one pair of the preamp stereo outputs with two Y adapters. This will give you stereo subs. This would be preferable to #1 if the subs were more on par. #1 might be preferable, given how different your subs would be, so the channels are more in balance.
3- if the plate amps have speaker level inputs, you could input from each of the mains. I don't think this affects the quality of mains sound like running speaker signal into sub then out to mains would. Someone correct me if this is wrong. You would have to have one of his standard amps rather than the compact Hypex amp that normally comes with it. Don't know if you would have that option. And it is closer to #2 so may not be the way to go as long as you were mixing these different subs.

You will have to experiment to find the best settings for these two different subs. You could try any number of approaches like:
- setting bass extension on the L12 higher to be closer to the Velodyne so they were closer in what they were doing,
- keep the L12 bass extension low and crossover close to the bass extension of the Velodyne (~34Hz) so they don't overlap. This would make for seamless, but takes away some of the benefit of dual subs,
- run both crossovers at about the same setting, eg, 80Hz, with L12 bass extension low and fiddle with level controls to get the best balance in FR. This would likely emphasize lower mid-bass more than very low bass, which might be fine if not overly emphasized.

I notice that Brian changed the design of the amp controls with the compact Hypex models. I have the larger standard amp in my F12's and the more compact Hypex amp in the mid-bass units, so I am familiar with both. On the standard amp, you have separate bass extension and damping controls. On the compact amp, he combined these into one, three position switch, which reduces flexibility. This is one of the primary differences between the L12 and F12 and worth consideration. I don't know if he would offer a modified L12 with a standard amp at a cost somewhere between the two.

Sorry, gets more complicated the more we look at them!

Last edited by pstrisik; 08-17-2017 at 12:14 PM.